Four organizations represented by Kibera Women participated in event which took place at the DO Open ground starting 2:30 p. m on 29th July 2016. The teams present were Carolina for Kibera – CFK, Shinning Hope for Communities – SHOFCO, Trust in Indigenous Culture and Health – Ticah and Umande Trust. The event started with welcome remarks and a warm up sessions where everyone in attendance stood in a circle, introduced themselves and were entertained to an exercise to start every thing off.
The objectives of this program of engaging women in peacebuilding are:-
- Mobilizing partners to mainstream peace building in their different programs.
- Strengthening relationships between service providers and community women.
- Breaking unnecessary barriers / divisions brought about by politics.
The games were as follows:-
SHOFCO Stars made it to first position and took away the trophy, the players were also given medals.
The event ended at 6:30 with peace talks and an explanation of the way forward, there were presentations of balls courtesy of Carolina for Kibera, Caps Courtesy of Amani Kibera, Sta Soft Courtesy of Kibera Town Centre. Medals, First Aid kit and Trophy were from Polycom Development Project, the lead organization.
All the objectives were met, the service providers participated and engaged with the women; it was team work, the staff and community got together to form their teams; it was nothing but fun, no tribal, political or religious barriers, it was fun for all.
- Most teams were late and did not meet the required number of 15 players.
Suggestion Solutions:- Organizations will be expected present the full lists and contacts of their teams members ahead of the games, followup call will be made to confirm their participation ahead of the games.
- Some leaders did not provide for their teams as agreed before, leaving the members expecting interventions by the lead organization Polycom Development Project. Some leaders did not have enough players and therefore engage women on the ground who had no idea of rules of the game.
Suggestion Solutions:- Sponsoring organization will be requested to support their team members through the lead organization who will work hand in had with their focal point person to ensure that everything runs smoothly.
- Polycom Development Project & Kibera Women for Peace and Fairness (Lead Organizations)
- Carolina for Kibera
- Shinning Hope for Communities
- Trust in Indigenous, Culture and Health
- Amani Kibera
- Kibera Town Centre
- Map Kibera
- The games will take place monthly, the trophy will be rotational.
- Organizations to appoint lead persons to create introduce their services to Kibera people during the games .
- Other teams invited to join, CREAW, Administration Team already expressed their interest.
- A little registration fee will be introduced to cater for the logistics, e.g referees, polls, chalk, whistles, first aid kits.
This is an initiative by the women of Kibera to keep their unity during the upcoming political period, it does not have any donor funding but the people’s good will. It brings people working for the welfare of Kiberans to bond with the people. It will run till the next general election in (2017???). Engaging women beyond dancing for politicians, to diffuse political tension.